Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sleeping with the enemies

Osci Boo Boo and Deegs, the names I actually call Oscar and Diego. There hasn’t been too much excitement lately (which is a good thing!) with the pups but there are still the occasional mishaps.
Now that the winter months are here Oscar will only sleep under my covers. I wake up in the morning clinging to the edge of the bed and turn to see Oscar in the middle with his head on my pillow, under the cover, spooning me. Diego prefers to be down by my feet but lately has started burrowing his head into my neck.
The thing is I kind of sort of need to wean the dogs off of my bed. BUT I really don’t want to…BUT I really think I need to and I know that I can’t sleep with them forever. BUT Oscar has been sleeping with me for 3 years and I can’t stand the thought of kicking my child out of my bed. AND I really enjoy snuggling with them when I am alone and cold. BUT I also need to prepare for the day when I am not the only one sleeping in my bed and there is not enough room for 2 dogs, one of which prefers to sleep in the bed like a human being. Should I just wait to wean them until I absolutely have to or should I do it now to prepare? I just don’t know and the bottom line is I don’t want to kick them out but I know eventually the time will come. The other thing is that I feel like because I am gone all day at work a lot of our quality time is laying together in bed and cuddling and I sort of feel bad about taking that away. Anyways, these are just some thoughts, fears, and dreams I have about my children and needed some tips or insights on how to accomplish this task.
Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I dreaded that transition with my own fur child, Lucy. I thought it would devastate her! Come to find out, it only devastated me. She loves her little bed so much.

    It only took two nights of me putting her bed in the family room and closing my bedroom door for her to get it. Now, when it's bed time (when she sees us get up, turn the tv off, lock the doors, etc.) she runs to her bed, lays down and waits for me to "tuck her in." Which basically means covering her with the blanket and speaking in the language that John Paul despises (I've luved u since before u were in mah woooomb.)

    Sadly, she likes her own bed so much, that even when I've tried to bring her into mine (when Brandon is out of town) she jumps down and wants back in her bed. I think dogs just like routine (whatever that may be.)

    I think your dogs will actually take it better than you do.xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kick them out when the time is right (ie. Mr. Perfect comes along). For now, they are the men in your life and should be treated as such. Anyway, it will only take them a night or two to get used to sleeping with each other instead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie I love your blog check out the award on my blog that I gave you:)

    ReplyDelete